Saturday, February 10, 2018

Post #5: Power of the Podcast!

Last year was a year full of learning and I can’t be more grateful for all of the resources and thoughts being shared via Twitter.  The ability to have access 24/7 to innovative and like-minded educators has been so valuable to my personal growth as an educator...but at times, it has also been an overload of information! I’ve learned the value of taking the time to disconnect and also to spend my time browsing topics specific to my particular need for the moment.


Last fall, I discovered another great way to access similar resources and bits of information that has changed the way that I connect with others and process new ideas!


Enter: Podcasts.  Prior to this past August, podcasts were something that some friends and I had toe-dipped into, primarily for social or entertainment purposes and I had never thought of it as a platform to learn from. Like Twitter, listeners have the opportunity to pick and choose different podcasts based off of their interests and generally find themselves listening to podcasters who share similar passions and philosophies. Unlike Twitter, new podcast episodes aren’t typically coming out every hour throughout the day; instead, they are typically published once per week (or every other week) and subscribers can plan around their personal schedule before getting into their most recent episode, which typically can range anywhere from five to forty-five minutes.

Over the past six months, I’ve found some major benefits to including podcasts in my weekly routine:

  1. Avoid the Overload! -- We know when to anticipate a new episode and when it’s over...it’s over! You can definitely connect with others following the podcast throughout the week, but you don’t have to be spending too much time browsing different hashtags to make sure nothing is missed!
  2. Accessibility -- While Twitter and blogs are great when you have a moment to sit down and mix in some light reading, most of us find ourselves pressed for time...and that shouldn’t be a reason not to explore new ideas! Podcasts have seamlessly integrated itself into parts of my day, rather than replacing other events or activities.  Workouts, commutes, and kitchen prep are the most common times I’ve found myself listening to podcasts.  Every once in a while, the rewind button comes in handy, but that’s just another great feature of podcasts...you can always go back!
  3. Variety -- There are an endless number of high quality podcasts already out there! Listen to a few different episodes to find some podcasters and topics that are of interest to you.  The best part is that they’re free! If you don’t care for a particular podcast, simply ditch it and find another without any financial guilt!
Inspired by MaryEllen West's interview on The Press Release


I’ve found myself routinely listening to three different podcasts, beginning with EdTechTeam’s podcast, The Press Release, hosted by David Hotler.  The Press Release brings ideas to the table from the innovative minds of Rushton Hurley, Dan Ryder, Amy Burvall, Trevor MacKenzie, Holly Clark, and many more! Whether it’s an extended episode diving deeper into a specific topic or a brief “spark,” The Press Release has been an invaluable resource to continue my own growth within parts of my day without feeling the need to sacrifice something else.  While it’s possibly one of the more underrated professional development resources out there, podcasts have easily integrated itself into my weekly routine, and hopefully it can do the same for you!