Thursday, August 9, 2018

Post #11: "Change is inevitable, growth is optional"

One year ago, as I made my way back to Colorado after another eventful summer teaching summer school at my alma mater in Hawaii, I was looking forward to another exciting year of third grade. For years people have echoed that year one was always a challenge for a first-year teacher, year two consisted of changing everything that didn’t work, and years three and on would simply be tweaking little things here and there.  Little did I know that year four would bring a dynamic shift to our classroom and I could not have imagined how much of an impact it would have on our school year a mere nine months later.

Year four started about a week or so earlier than normal. I normally spend some time after summer school is over to enjoy being home, but a classroom move brought me back to Colorado sooner than normal. While most may have been disappointed to end their summer sooner, I was actually itching to get back to school to get into our new room. The #BestYearYet started off with a classroom redesign along with new adventures including Flipgrid and Seesaw. Students beamed as they learned that they were the first to explore and try new things.

As I reflected on our year with one of my teammates in January, it was hard to believe how much our classrooms had changed in only half a year. Thanks to a rockstar PLN, supportive administration, and our fair share of trials and tribulations, we were excited for what year two might have in store for us minus some of the first time growing pains. But just as unpredictable as this past school year had been, I could not have predicted the change in store with the turn of the calendar.

After student teaching, coaching, and beginning my teaching career in the same building, I couldn’t have imagined leaving, but the opportunity to be closer to home and return to my alma mater was too good to pass up. Saying “see you later” for the summer was always bittersweet, but this one in particular was tough to stomach as “see you later” was actually “goodbye.”  Thankfully, I’m still able to smile about it now as Kheli LaBlue mentions in Stories From Webb--"Remember to INITIATE the hugs and reassurances on a regular basis so that [we] will not regret the absence of a last goodbye."


I did not know that this past August would be my final Bulldog Back to School Night, but I absolutely fell in love with our class two days before the first day of school and I’m so grateful for the year full of memories that I will cherish forever.

With summer coming to a close, the excitement is just as fresh as it was a year ago. Along with a change in location and new school comes a change in grade level, too...looking forward to an awesome year ahead with a great team and teaching partner as I get to make the shift to KINDERGARTEN!

Though change is inevitable, I couldn't be more excited for this new adventure ahead! Looking forward to learning from and collaborating with all of the wonderful kindergarten teachers out there this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Comments Here: